Friday, July 3, 2015

New Year, New Team

Happy New Year! 

Okay, so no, it is not January, but it is summer and to a teacher this means a fresh start! This is when I set my resolutions and begin preparations for new kids and a new year! 

This year many of my goals pertain to making my PLC team as effective as possible. I will be working with a larger group of people so it is vital that we are all on the same page about what this could and should look like. 

First, it starts with our 4th grade team. I will be working with a teacher who is new to the grade level, but not to teaching. She has previously taught Kindergarten and 5th grade so I am excited about the varied experience that she will bring to the table!

Our Instructional Coach will be another member of our PLC team. She is enthusiastic about working with a team throughout the entire planning, teaching and reflecting model. She has been receiving training in convergent data so I look forward to having support in that area. 

Another essential person our teaching team next year will be our Title 1 teacher. She is extremely passionate about helping kids learn and she is great at giving them a balance of challenge and encouragement. She will be our go-to for all Tier 2 students in the MTSS model. 

We can't forget about our special education teacher! She brings a vast knowledge of teaching practice and strategies for students who need special accommodations. I look up to her as a model teacher and she is truly a professional educator. 

Finally we have our guide, our school principal, who believes in teaching together more than any other practice. He supports us, teaches us and listens to us. He is a great leader who focuses on every individual student and how we can help them learn. 

Yes it is a big team, and this is technically not even everyone! I also want to have vertical conversations with the 3rd and 5th grade teachers at my school, and I would love to work with other 4th grade teams across the district. We also have the Guidance Counselor, Behavior Coordinator, Specials Teachers, ELP Teacher, Support Staff, Secretary and so many others that would take hours to introduce! With all of us teaching together I know that this year will be one of the best for teachers, and more importantly, for students!


1 comment:

  1. Amanda,
    I have to say I think you are completely in the right mindset to start this off well. Teaching is all about collaboration and with a PLC like that you'll get so many varied viewpoints that you should have a very cohesive plan for your students. I look forward to hearing how its going. One suggestion I have is to make sure that everyone remains on topic as much as possible because sometimes with a big group you get subgroups talking and you may miss something really great and useful. Have fun with it and remember that if you don't have a lot to say - it's ok. Sometimes it's better to just listen to the ideas and insights of a varied group.

    ReplyDelete